Sunday 6 November 2016

Stacked Earrings Challenge - the fifth and final round!

I am sad to say we're finally at the end of the Stacked Earrings Challenge started by Malin de Koning. This is the 5th and final round! The original idea was for a small group of jewelry makers to send each other a selection of beads. The challenge is to create at least one pair of earrings with at least 3 types of the beads from the pack.

This time, it was Heidi's turn from Ex Post Facto Jewelry. I personally found Heidi's pack of beads so fun! I immediately made two pairs and sadly didn't have a lot of opportunity to make nearly as many as I wanted. In all, I finished three pairs, but I'll definitely be heading back to this stash soon!

Here's a photo of everything Heidi sent:


Photo by Malin de Koning

Aren't they fun? I was drawn to the purple and orange, tiny faceted metallic, and old (African trade?) beads. I only finished three pairs of earrings, but I had so many ideas from this selection.





The very first pair I made used only beads from the pack. They're made with the plump orange beads, rhinestone spacers, green stones, copper tubes, a pair of faceted gems, and those teeny tiny metallic beads.




Next up I went for purple. I've been experiencing purple mania recently, so I pulled out the dyed wood, faceted glass, some complimentary mint colored beads, and decorative bead caps. I added my own enameled twisted headpins for extra fun!





Last and most favorite is the third pair I finished this week. I love to mix a bit of grungy metal with sparkling stones and just a pop of color. At the top of the earrings is a tiny stack of the old striped glass with the faceted metal beads. I wire wrapped hoops of copper and dangled African Krobo beads beneath them with a chain of the rock crystals from the pack. 






Thank you, Heidi, for the super fun beads! All those tiny beads were so useful and perfect for adding extra little details. And a huge thanks to Malin for starting this wonderful challenge! It's been fantastic.

Check out what the others made on their blogs!










12 comments:

  1. Wow! I love them all! I really like what you did with the copper tubes and the little metallic bead - what a clever idea. And the rock crystal chains in the last pair were really fun. I'll be interested to see what else you come up with and if you manage to find uses for some of the ones I still can't manage to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were so fun, Heidi! I had a forth pair on my table ready to make with the large grey beads. I will finish them eventually!

      Delete
  2. These are all wonderful, Leah! I love what you did with the copper tubes - so clever! Those twisty enamelled bits on the second pair are very cool. And the wrapped rings in the last pair are really fab too. I don't think I can decide on a favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire! The twisty enameled doodads are so fun to make. I really need to do them in more colors to have on hand!

      Delete
  3. I honestly can't pick a favorite, all three designs are beautiful and something I would be proud to wear. You are a master of color and balance! I specially love the little flowers in the second pair; I have been obsessed with these flowers lately and have been using them in my designs. They have been big sellers at recent craft festivals, so much so that I can't even get them photographed or posted on Etsy before they're sold.
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori ~ I LOVE those Czech flowers, too, but don't use them nearly enough. Thanks for your lovely comment!

      Delete
  4. Three simply gorgeous pairs of earrings there Leah. All are beautiful clever and very interesting. Highly skilled craftmanship also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gracious!! Three pairs of earrings is an eye-ful! Each of them are so dreamy. You've got so many details packed into such a small space. Beautifully done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, CraftyHope! I love adding tiny details. I'm lucky there were so many beautiful little beads in the pack!

      Delete
  6. I just love these earrings - every pair! Those enamel headpin ones may just be my favourites, at a push but each pair is so lovely - delicate and bohemian. Your use of negative space in each pair is so effective in lending them a lightness even amidst all the detail you have so carefully given them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even notice the "negative space". I guess I was running on autopilot! Thanks so much.

      Delete