Tuesday 22 May 2012

Time Traveler's Necklace

This necklace has a few old elements and some new styles for me. I'm still new to asymmetrical jewellery, and it takes that extra bit of time to get a piece just right. But when you do, the result can be beautiful.


The total length of the necklace is 38.5". Definitely a stretch from my usual 18 inch necklaces. The bead work is lengthened even further with the addition of beautiful, soft silk ribbons.

Another first for me is the hand painted lava stones. I used red and tangerine yellow artist paints to create a fiery look on the stones. I incorporated a paper clay bird, painted with acrylics, I made on the previous day.


I added vintage lampwork, faceted glass, coral beads, and two old coins. Added to the mix was a selection of gorgeous carnelian, garnet, and chalcedony gemstones.  

The focal coin is a half penny from 1934, which I painted to match the lava stones. The second coin is a Jamaican cent from 1973 painted to match the acid green colour of my paper clay bird.

The element I love the most on this necklace is the antiqued watch face. I re-purposed a fairly new watch face, antiqued it with several paints, and wire wrapped it. I wrapped vintage coral beads along the top and bottom of the watch face to better frame it.


I love how all of the different elements, old and new, came together beautifully in this necklace. This has quickly become one of my favourite creations and definitely an inspiration to keep trying new styles and techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment