Monday 18 June 2012

OOAK Doll

This is a one of a kind art doll I made recently. She is the third doll I've completed and by far the smallest.

From her iridescent wings, to her silk costume and puffy pink pig tails, each detail is handmade. Her body is sculpted from paper clay, which I sometimes use for art beads. Her eyes, lips, and other details are hand painted with acrylic artist inks.
 

The costume is made from silk and synthetic organza. The pink ruffles of her top and the sage green of her skirt remind me of azaleas.

Wigging this doll was probably the hardest part. I settled on a thermal, color changing hair. It's called saran and is soft to the touch (and slippery to use!). The thermal saran is pretty amazing stuff. With a 20*C change in temperature, her hair goes from a raspberry pink to white and back again. 

 

In all, she took more than 6 hours to sculpt, costume, and wig. It seems a long time for such a tiny doll!





6 comments:

  1. She is adorable! I have made a few art dolls with polymer. They do take a long time. Your face is very good! Love the hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marian! I started claying in polymer, but haven't made an art doll in it yet. Now what to do with the rest of the pink hair! :)

      Delete
  2. Your doll is really cuty. I know a German doll artist. She is also working so small dolls with so much details, and everything so thiny. Amazing
    Greetings Gite
    oh, if you want to take a look to her blog
    http://lunas-studio.blogspot.de/search/label/Modellieren%2FOOAK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gite! Sorry for not replying sooner - your comment went to my Spam, and I don't know my way around blogger yet.

      Thanks for the link! Those dolls are amazing and so original.

      Delete
  3. I love her! Most of the art dolls that I see are so out there that I really don't care for them. Your little dolly on the other hand is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Shaiha! I'm glad you like her.

      Delete