Tuesday 24 July 2012

Beads for Blogging - Nearly finished

Here's my third piece for Beads for Blogging. I used the faux amber (acrylic) and gemstone pendant Tanya sent me. I had originally wanted to do a multistrand bracelet, but decided on a lariat.


I used black cotton cord for contrast between the beautiful amber, red, and orange tones of the beads. The beads are bound with lark's head knots and simple overhand knots. I also added a pair of lampwork glass beads by Tania Grey.

The focal teardrop has an attractive medley of orange and red tones.  For me, using the gemstone focal came easily. But the acrylic beads were more of a challenge. I usually think 'ick, acrylic,' but I have to say these little beads have opened my eyes. They have a crackle effect that catches the sun just as beautifully as any other bead, and the colour is gorgeous against the black cord.


Out of all the jewellery I made for the Beads for Blogging challenge, I have to say this is my favorite. Not using metal is a strange first for me. I love how different this piece is. I was challenged by Tanya's beads and was able to create something earthy and simply peaceful.


You can see my previous pieces using Tanya's beads here and here. There's another one I haven't shared with you yet, but that will have to wait until the Bead Soup Blog Party® reveal this Saturday.

If you want to challenge yourself with free beads from Tanya's shop, check out her blog here for details on how to enter. All you have to do is create and share your work!

No comments:

Post a Comment