Friday 1 February 2013

Heart link tutorial

With Valentine's Day coming up, I thought I'd share the love by revisiting this tute I posted on the UK Beaders forum blog last year. I made this long before I had my own blog. Looking back at it, I've learned a thing or two about editing photos!

In any case, I hope you find it useful. Here it is!



Supplies:

Wire - gauge and type is up to you. I've used 0.8mm silver plated copper here
Round nosed pliers
Wire cutters
File or fine sandpaper (optional)
Hammer (optional)

**Caution** A quick word of warning, if you have a pair of goggles around, put them on! Love isn't the only thing in the air - there are bits of flying metal, too.

Step 1:

Cut as many lengths of wire as you require. The length is up to you. I cut 2cm lengths for this project. File or sand the rough ends of the wire, if necessary.

Step 2:

Take a length of cut wire, and bend it in the middle with your round nosed pliers into a V shape.


Step 3:

Take your V shape and with your pliers curl one end (like you would for a loop). Bend the wire until you've made a half circle (roughly!).
 

Step 4:

Repeat Step 3 on the other end of your V, and you have a heart! You may need to tinker a bit with the shape to get it just right.


Optional:

This next step adds a great effect, especially if you want a rustic touch. You can gently hammer the links. Or, if you're using silver plated wire, squeeze the links between your pliers. Sometimes hammering is a bit rough on plated wire. If you're using solid metal, hammer away!


Now, you should have sweet little hearts to add to your projects. Link them together for chains or add beads to them for charm bracelets and earrings.

6 comments: